Name:
Location: New Brunswick, Canada

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Here's the history:

Fall 2004 our familiy applied for Habitat for Humanity. (I will call it HFH after this)
Spring 2005 we received a call from someone on behalf of HFH. Out of all the applications they received, we were actually receiving a visit.

Three women came to visit. While they were here they met our family and explained what was required if we were the family chosen. We live in a wonderful 4 bedroom flat. We really do like our present "home", however it is not suitable for the needs of our youngest, that is in a wheelchair.

A few weeks later we received a letter stating that we were not the family chosen. The women that visited told us that if we were not chosen to re-apply again next year.

December 2005 we applied again. I mailed it 2 days before the deadline.

March 2006 we received another call and they had already visited some other families and want to come visit us again.

April 3, 2006 one of the women called saying that they needed a letter from us giving permission for them to do a credit check. More than 2 weeks passed so I was sure they picked another family.

April 20, 2006 (Thursday) we received another call asking if they could come back for another visit on Sunday, April 23, 2006. That Sunday night, after discussing a few things, we were told that we were the family chosen. I cried. A home for our family that is wheelchair accessible for Noah is what we have wanted now, for so long.

The first week of May the women that came to our home will have a meeting with the board and we hope to know more after that.

I started this blog to keep family and friends up to date with any information I have from now on and hopefully some pictures in the future once we start building.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even though I have heard the whole story, this still sets off emotion in me, and your simple words, " I cried" expressed so beautifully the whole thing. It will be exciting to follow your build, and I would love to some day see it in person.
Donna

12:29 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carol, thank you for sending me the link! I will be following closely now that I have it!

Big hugs to Noah, tell him I miss seeing him everyday.

3:33 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home